Peter Pan Workshop
CCA and Allentown Public Theatre came together to provide an interactive experience for children in the Jordan Heights neighborhood during the Summer of 2017 as part of the "Authentically Allentown" Artist-in-Residence program.
Free workshops took place at several churches throughout the Jordan Heights neighborhood and capped off with a performance in August at Allentown Art Museum
Allentown Public Theatre presented “Peter Pan: Wendy – An Adventure in Neverland” as an interactive experience for children throughout the Jordan Heights community of Allentown. The workshops consisted of different elements including acting, set design and costume making while preparing for a performance before an audience of parents, friends and community and church members.
Participation was open to any child 5-12 years old from the Jordan Heights community and presented in a bilingual format.
The “Authentically Allentown” Artist-in-Residence program is the initial signature initiative from CCA’s 20:21 Arts Plan. Working in collaboration with the Jordan Heights’ Neighborhood Revitalization program, two-hour workshops were held each day for three days with 10-20 neighborhood children, culminating in a free weekend performance of the play. Workshops were held in Grace Episcopal Church in June, Sacred Heart Church in July and Union Baptist Church in August. The entire series capped off with a performance of Wendy in Downtown Allentown in August as part of the Third Thursday on August 17 at the Allentown Art Museum.
The Cultural Coalition of Allentown is supported by the Community Action Development Corporation (CADCA) and the Upside Allentown Neighborhood Partnership Program and the Dexter F. and Dorothy H. Baker Foundation. The Upside Allentown neighborhoods consist of the Hamilton District, Old Allentown, Old Fairgrounds, Jordan Heights, Promise Neighborhood and Seventh Street.
CCA celebrateS Hispanic Heritage Month
Allentown residents of all ages engaged in the rhythmic excitement of tango throughout September and October as the Cultural Coalition of Allentown brought the talents of Urszula Abolik and her troupe of dancers and DJs to the monthlong celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month throughout the city of Allentown.
Urszula created five performances throughout the month and worked alongside the CCA and Hispanic Heritage Month committee to engage the community in special events including the kick-off day at Allentown City Hall on September 15. Additionally, performances were held to coincide with September Third Thursday on the Arts Walk all ending with the ultimate event on Sunday October 20 at the Allentown Art Museum.
Urszula commented, "The Allentown community connected in a very upbeat way where people interrelated within this elegant experience of the Tango. The program connected all ages, with young people spending quality time with their parents and grandparents."
• September 15th - Kick off at the City Hall - Tango class from 4-4:30, and the performance after, dancing till 5pm with Malgorzata Rokicki and Pierre.
• September 19th - Opening art show - Art and tango at the Baum School. DJ Urszula and tango community social dancing between 6-8pm.
• September 29th - Sunday - Allentown Art Fest at the Cedar Beach - 2-2:30 - Tango class with Elly Liz and Graham. Tango dancing till 3:30pm. DJ - Urszula and Elly Liz. Tango Nuevo, Modern Vibes.
• October 13th - Sunday - Short performance at the Allentown Art Museum between 2-2:30pm. with Jacklyn Shapiro and Roberto Pena. Short talk and performance.
• October 17th - Third Thursday at Symphony Hall. 6-8pm. Opening guitar tango with Jim Steager. Class by Svetlana Howell from 6:15-6:45pm. Beat boxing tango tunes with Yancarlos Sanchez. Tango social dancing from 7-9pm.